|Idea from Winifred Aldrich|
Maybe it's that it's skirts. I rarely wear them these days - and have so many at home. There are probably a couple of styles I'd be interested in, though. Last term in dressmaking I made a skirt which I thought I'd like but I just don't. It doesn't even fit well, despite numerous alterations and adjustments.
My first task was to trace around my basic skirt block (no seam allowances). I ended up with a full front and a full back piece. I should have adjusted the length before this point but I'll come to that.
For the gores, I cut out the skirt pattern and separated out the 8 gores. I carefully numbered them but I did get into trouble later! There is a standard way of laying things out - back on left and front on right and I think I didn't do that. I then extended the hemline on each side of each gore by 7cm, creating the flare, and joined the outer point with the balance points. I was doing this by sticking on extra paper - it would have been far easier to trace around each gore onto a piece of paper with sufficient space simply to draw the extensions. I had to draw round the taped papers anyway as they were difficult to handle. I'll know next time.
Tonight I redid both back and front yokes, making changes to the original paper pattern. This took rather a long time. I did it carefully this time. I then attached the yokes to the skirt, using R's method with some success, I thought, not wonderful but a distinct improvement.
|Yes, that's right. Piece 1 beneath, before tracing and seam allowances added. Piece 1 above after seam allowances added. Yes, I've made a mirror image but have drawn the zip on the wrong side! No wonder I had problems! |
will update if I achieve anything next week.
Update - R pinched out excess fabric along junction of yoke and seam. The sewing was a problem but the fit was the bigger issue. I didn't take it any further.