I carried on at home today to complete the topstitching of the yoke and sewed up the side seams. All that remained was the hems around the armholes and the bottom hem - I duly basted these and tried on the top to see what it was like. I didn't like it any better. DH realised on seeing it that it wasn't my style or colour and that I wouldn't wear it.
So I made the decision not to finish it, to banish it to wadder land - and to send the rest of the sickly fabric with it. I feel good about this decision. It won't be hanging around taunting me! I haven't decided what to do about the pattern yet - there are different views which are more 'me'.
I did learn a number of new techniques, so my time wasn't all wasted.
I should say that I didn't buy the fabric in the first place - my mother who can no longer sew because she is virtually blind (macular degeneration) gave me it with a few other pieces from when she last sewed many years ago. One of the pieces is a beautiful fabric in golds and olives and browns - but I am a summer and these shades don't suit me. They are most definitely my mother's colours. She also loves cowl necks. My original intention in making the pink cowl top was to have a practice run to make her one from the gorgeous silky brown floral. I'm not sure she'd like the style, either, however, I think she'd prefer sleeves. I wasn't keen on the fit for me and feel that the particular fit around the armholes wouldn't suit my mother, either.
I feel good about my decision to jettison and not finish. This is linked in to trying to get rid of 'stuff' accumulated over the years as we're thinking of downsizing as our house is too big for just the two of us, despite a proliferation of hobby-related paraphernalia.
It's just over a week since my birthday. For my birthday, one of my gifts, from my youngest daughter, was of labels to sew into my handcrafted garments. I'm looking forward to using these.