Tuesday 28 April 2015

Things will get better from now on!

I've had a lot of computer problems. A lot of problems with Blogger - and with other programmes.

I started to use my smartphone and my tablet for a lot of pictures and posts but, well, they really weren't up to this!

I'm writing this on my brand new laptop. I'm in the process of setting it up. I had a laptop previously. It was pretty old but reasonably competent. Then my daughter's laptop broke down permanently - and her need was greater than mine. When I gave it to her, I didn't envisage getting another as I thought my tablet would suffice. It's great for so many things, but not, I feel, for writing and publishing posts. Hence my new purchase.

On accessing my blog posts earlier this morning to post a reply, using my tablet, I saw that, once again, many of my pictures had disappeared. I will spend some time trying to restore some of them but will simply delete others. I have all the photos still, and think I need to find a better way to store these. Those I took on my camera, and those from my husband's camera are stored nicely in appropriate files but more recent ones, in drive, are less well 'filed'.

Because I was using my smartphone photos loaded onto drive and into blogger, there was no editing. Editing is important - my earlier photos ere all edited and those DH takes on his camera usually are. He uses Photoshop and I have the baby version - Photoshop elements - but think I might try to use Picasa as that is the programme blogger intrinsically uses and in which it stores photos.

Previously, I tried to set up labels  under which I could file specific posts e.g. all the posts about my pattern drafting. Despite quite a bit of reading and trying, I didn't succeed in doing this. I think it is easier on WordPress and I wondered about shifting but I think I'll persevere for the moment.

Anyway, I have a few things to set up and then I'll think about those photos. I have to sort out my photo filing before I try to fix in my posts or I'll just lose them again.

6 comments:

  1. I tend to use whatever works and I don't worry about the rest - my tablet is okay for basic stuff, I can't use my phone at all, and I mostly like my mainframe computer - I can sit upright and the screen is large. So, I would stick to what works best for you...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks - the trouble is that it isn't working! I'm rethinking...

      Delete
  2. I can't use a tablet for anything! I think my son enjoys playing games on it but I cannot do anything functional. I stick to my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the tablet is fabulous for certain things. Trouble was, I thought it could replace a laptop - it can't. I'm answering this on my tablet; I can read blogs and I can draft a post but I can't finish it in the way that it should be. My grandsons (5 and 3) play games on a tablet too. The 5 year old is already fairly computer literate. It will soon be the case of asking them if we run into difficulty (okay, I exaggerate! ); the younger generations have grown up with technology. I was already in my 20s when the first home PC came out. While at university, I had a holiday job as a computer programmer on a huge mainframe computer which took up a whole room and we had to wear special footwear etc - but it was not as powerful as our home PCs are now!

      Delete
  3. As they say - "tell me about it!". The sewing I can do. Taking photographs just about. But loading them up, and managing a blog - it is very challenging when you learnt what you know as an adult. Luckily enough my kids are very helpful but they do get fed up with me. Last night I was complaining that my pictures were not uploading and when George came down he found that this was because I had failed to plug in my phone....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Unfortunately my children flew the nest a while ago! They often have advice when they visit, if I can ask the right thing. They don't have blogs so can't offer specific advice.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a comment. I welcome each and every one. I value criticism (constructive of course! ), love hints and tips and would appreciate suggestions for future direction.

How Do You Read Blogs?

It's a while since I've posted a blog,  lots of reasons. I'm thinking of starting again. However,  I used to read the blogs I fo...