I started my blog to chart my sewing progress. I started sewing after I retired and I'm continuing to learn and improve.
Saturday, 6 June 2015
College Evening Class Update
I've realised I haven't updated about
my College classes after being so uncertain about continuing them previously.
Major changes to the dressmaking
techniques class, which I've mentioned before (no longer called that but that
title will be best here), but meaning a bigger class, twice the number still with only one tutor, in inadequate space, mixed
ability with lots of absolute beginners rather than the class was were
expecting and now a certificate course rather than pure adult learning, and a
huge level of disorganisation meant that many dropped out and I seriously
considered doing the same. In fact I had asked for a refund of the class after
the tutor had said it wouldn't meet my needs but DH suggested I should give it
a chance. I think I actually said in a previous post that I had attended my
last one. One of the other students, Elizabeth, decided to continue and we
agreed to work together. Plus we were given permission to work in a separate
room - more space but no tutor available as she would be working with beginners
in the original room. We could call on her if necessary. The room was very
useful from the very first night when there were 4 of us oldies (the other two
have since dropped out) and we critiqued the fit of Elizabeth's dress, giving
her advice on what we felt she could do to improve the fit. She checked this in
a quick 2 minute discussion with the tutor, who agreed with our suggestions. E
has since made those changes and her dress was looking good and fitting well.
So, I'm going along with the syllabus.
Having to be seen to be able to complete basic tasks. I don't mind the recap of
seam types etc. Elizabeth and I have managed to combine picking up and
completing the exercises with some of our own work. One very useful exercise
was me taking Elizabeth through the steps to insert an invisible zip on the
evening we were expecting this to be the exercise but the actual exercise
turned out to be very basic and very quick to do. We used written and
photographic instructions to help and used my invisible zipper foot. Elizabeth
had inserted a pretty competent invisible zip in the dress mentioned earlier but had taken several tries to
get it to look okay. She had managed to come up with a way of inserting but the
way we followed was easier (though with calico being the same on both
sides,we thought that we had got the
work twisted). She hadn't known that it's usual to sew this type of zip before
the seam is closed and hadn't known there was a special foot. Her result was
excellent.She has since gone and bought
a similar book to the one I had taken with me and an invisible zipper foot,
though she hasn't used it in earnest yet.
I do have to produce a portfolio,
which I haven’t properly started yet. All of our little samples will be
included. I think the mini garment will be a skirt, which we did in our first
term in September but it’ll be a useful recap - and I can’t find my original
sample. I still have the mini jeans and that might be suitable to put in as
I'm also still attending my pattern
cutting class. This has also become a certificate course but the new bosses
have fortunately not managed to destroy the class and several of us have
continued plus a couple of new people. We are currently drafting pants
patterns, fitting those pants, designing from this and we have to end up with a
fitting pair of pants in the muslin stage - we're not required to make up in
fashion fabric, though it was pointed out that fashion fabric needs to be
firmly in mind when the pattern is being designed. I seem to be a very long way
away from this stage at the moment, yet we’re halfway through the term.
The work is new to us and we have
quite a lot of homework to do outside the class. I need to start my portfolio,
which will be more complicated than the other. I’ve put together some jottings
and I’ll type them into Word. I’ve taken some photos which can also be put in.
I’ll post something more specific
nearer the end of term.