Today is a waistcoat update.
After looking at the laid out fabric (wool and silk) for future sil's waistcoat for a LONG time, too scared to cut it as this was by far the most expensive fabric I had ever used, my tutor and classmates convinced me I had to go ahead and make the first cut. That was a key moment in this whole process.
I'm using a Burda pattern - 3403 with a few modifications for fit. Slightly lengthened and made with less ease for A's preferred fit.
Instructions aren't brilliant but adequate, particularly as I have Lyn to ask for advice. She's shown me a few techniques not mentioned in the instructions which improve the finish.
Of course I've had a few problems. None insurmountable, though.
- I was ironing the creases out of the custom printed silk and got water stains! I couldn't believe how dirty they were, even though my iron is new. I was horrified but we washed it, after pressing on the right side on the hottest setting it could take as per FAQs, and it was fine.
- I had to redo one of the facings
- I accidentally cut through one of the welts when snipping a thread with my so sharp scissors. I had no choice but to replace - I replaced both and slightly modified and improved how I did it. Fortunately I had enough of the fabric to replace the bits that needed replaced.
- I have imprints of the darts on the front of the waistcoat so I need to work out how to get rid of them. Of course, I shouldn't have had them there in the first place. I trust I can sort it! Any recommendations?
When I was making the toiles I got confused with the turning through at the end so I need to get far enough on to get help in my last class before Easter for that part. I'm happy to do the buttonholes after that.
What else have I been doing?
I've been continuing with the design and toiles for the wedding dress. I'm hoping to have a fairly complete toile for next weekend as I will be able to fit it on Helen. I don't have much opportunity to do that. We don't have the fabric yet but need to get that very soon now. We have a better idea of quantities now. I have samples from a selection of retailers.
I've finished making the pattern for Alison's bridesmaid's dress and plan to have a toile for next weekend when she's coming too. I won't see Joanne until after that.
I was getting on with my MOB outfit - I decided to submit that as my course final project, rather than the wedding dress which had been my original intention. I had two dresses - one to wear, princess seams, contrast central panel overlaid with lace, and one to submit, the pattern hack dress. I have a toile of the former and am making up the latter.
However, I'm not wearing either to the wedding as I have bought an outfit! I've decided that the toile of the first, in a lovely turquoise crepe, will be ideal for the day after the wedding (I'll post when completed). It fits beautifully and I just need to ass a lining and finish off. I will complete the second in college and submit as my final project. I got the stretch lining in the post today - I couldn't buy it locally.
My bought outfit isn't in the colour I originally intended (royal/cobalt blue) but David and I both liked it. It has taken a lot of pressure away from me. I need to get shoes and bag - I'm looking for dark navy, I'll tell you that. Of course I would still have had accessories to buy for a dress I made for myself too.
- Lesson learned, I hope - sometimes even after following 'measure twice, cut once' you can still get it wrong!
- Oh, and I don't need to do everything!