|Tools required today|
I cut out the waistband pieces. We 'pretended' to interface one of the sides, the part of the waistband on the outside. I hadn't taken interfacing with me and there was none in class. We'd done this before, though, so it was less important for teaching purposes.
I successfully stitched my waistband pieces together down the long edges that would form the waistband upper edge. I carefully folded and pressed wrong sides together, making sure the stitching line was right on the edge, rolling the seam in my fingers where necessary. I then carefully topstitched. In fact, in future I would not topstitch until later. The topstitching made the next step difficult. I advised Linda to wait and D agreed.
I then had to sew the raw edge of the outside waistband piece to the jeans, matching notches - only there weren't any, which became a problem later and emphasised for me the need to carefully transfer any notches or other pattern info from the pattern to the fabric.
Following this, I had to match the right sides of each half of the waistband together at each end of the waistband and finish off exactly level with the part of the jean it was attached to, by sewing across the end. Then the waistband got turned the right way around. This was where my topstitching caused problems - I was unable to get neat corners and had to unpick some of the stitches. Looking at the finished jean, too, I feel that the top is wider than the bottom, so my stitching is not completely vertical, though I did follow the lower part of the jean, I'll have to watch this. We didn't have a fabric edge to follow as there was quite a bit of excess fabric to cut off.
|Edge of waistband not perfectly vertical|
See where topstitching had to be unpicked and redone
|Finished sample with jeans button and rivet. Note wrinkled and distorted waistband.|
The class was over so quickly I couldn't believe it! I quickly asked D about the last steps, buttonhole and button so that I could finish these at home.
At home on Thursday, I experimented with some buttonholes and finally chose one I liked. I stitched it onto the end of the waistband. I'd appreciate any tips on making my buttonhole neater!
|You can see roughness and fraying inside the buttonhole and point where I had to resew on top edge of waistband. Being able to pivot from top to side then to bottom edges would have been easier and nicer.|
The little test sample was very grubby and I couldn't get my old chalk line, marking where I initially sewed, off. There were dirty marks from class, too, as well as the general grubbiness from working with a pale fabric. I decided to wash them. They had not been prewashed as this was a test garment just to practice the techniques. The fabric was a fairly heavy calico compared to the ones I regularly use. I took a limp crushed rag out of the washer and put it in the tumble dryer for a little while, thinking that then it wouldn't look so creased. It came out looking like a floppy piece of seersucker. Not much better after ironing, even though I also used my steam generating iron. I don't know how much shrinkage there was.
|Waistband particularly affected|
|View of inside with pocket stay; fine cotton used for pocket - perhaps remains best option|
|Jeans button and pin on left and rivet (7mm) and pin on right|
I had much greater difficulty with the rivets or should I say rivet. I used the awl and kept trying to enlarge the gap as I couldn't get the pin through from the wrong side. I did eventually manage, by using the awl to ease the fibres of the front over the pin. By this time, I had found the hammer and a few good clouts and the rivet was fully fixed. I only used one as there aren't that many in the pack and I'd hate to run short in the real thing. While this was difficult with the test garment, I'm rather dreading the prospect of repeating the exercise with several layers of denim.