|The new shorts - lace edging (shown two layered here0|
|Original damaged RTW shorts|
What with helping my mother move and my plans to enter the Simplicity Sewing Challenge plus a busy golf season with a major deadline Thursday 8th September for which I had a very large printing job, I had no intentions of entering the PR Sewing Bee. Just a week to make something? Maybe something that wasn't my style? No thanks. But then the challenge was posted - a pair of shorts! I just had to make another pair for Joanne!
|The latest version, hanging on a hanger|
Time differences and an all day into the evening golf match meant that I didn't find out about the challenge until late on Thursday 1 September. The closing date for this contest was 11.59pm EST on Wednesday 7th September. That's probably about 5am on Thursday morning here. So I didn't have much time (for me - for others it might be no problem!).
|Photo of Joanne wearing the previous shorts I made|
Same day, I went to Dainty Supplies in Washington (Tyne and Wear not DC) and bought single georgette in black and guipure lace in black.
|I wanted to use the top lace but there wasn't enough|
I got home and washed my fabric and lace.
Here I met my first problem! Trying to be frugal with the fabric, I didn't notice I was cutting out over a slash. Two front pieces had to be redone. I interfaced the facing of the shaped waistband. I sewed the pockets on the front and then interfaced the left back piece ready for zip insertion. I melted the fabric of this piece while fusing the interfacing and ruined my brand new ironing cover! It was really too late to carry on. Don't sew when tired!
I found that despite having only made these shorts a couple of weeks previously, I didn't find it that easy. My unpicker saw a lot of business. I took to the sewing bee to continue working on it. Dan felt this fabric was closer to the original RTW than the double georgette, but I know which one I prefer! I found it helpful to look at my toile from the previous time to help me with the steps. I asked Dan if she would model the shorts for a live model photo of the toile fitted. It did and she agreed. When I returned home I had to work on the golf stuff.
|I'm trying to show the pocket in front of the zip here|
|First side of zip pinned next to pocket, onto back pocket piece, pinned but not yet tacked|
|My short pieces did not have pocket extensions - this was the pocket shape|
I decided to insert the lace at this stage. I sewed the lace right side to fabric right side, facing in towards legs, using my edge stitch foot to position the stitching carefully.
|Lace tacked right side of lace to right side of fabric, facing towards legs. Funny colour!|
|Using edge stitch foot to sew on lace|
|Lining layer is added here - this shows sewing along the original stitching, fabric side up|
|Understitching the lace|
|The inside of the lace edging showing the understitching|
|My curved waistband|
I found that my waistband of Tuesday night was also wrong! I'm still not sure what the problem was, believe it or not. The side seam was in the wrong place that is not matching the side seam on the shorts so I thought I had sewed on inside out or rather made the wrong side the right side (I had a definite right side and wrong side as I had understitched) but that wasn't it. I must have put the underlap on the wrong side, though I didn't pick that up before I unpicked it. Anyway, I decided the outside had been changed too much by the interfacing and unpicked the whole band, made a new front without interfacing and made up a new waistband. This time it went in okay. It looked much better than the interfaced outside. I must try to source some better, finer, black fusible interfacing for future projects. I simply overlocked the inside as I had run out of patience with this.
|Showing zip, waistband inside and fastenings. You can see that I have simply overlocked the inside of the waistband|
In class we were doing jetted pockets as part of jacket construction. More of the class at a later date.
I had a lot of difficulty putting in the review to PR. It seems that saving a contest entry as a WIP (a review of a piece of work in progress) leads to problems. It took me ages but I got there. I even managed to get my pre-AGM printing done for distribution on Thursday.
Today there was a major problem with our Internet server - not just us, a big area was affected but this was fixed fairly quickly. However my PC is no longer working to link to the internet. Fortunately I got my linking and printing done last night! I'm trying to upload this post from my phone. I have some photos from construction on my phone (unedited) and I downloaded the 5 photos from my PR onto my phone here. So here goes! I managed to do some but then found that the problem was probably with my browser - I'm now on my PC with a different browser and not having the same problem. Whew!
Fingers crossed for progression to Round 2!
Sewing for Children Contest
Voting is still underway. Please vote for me!! I certainly don't expect to win but would like to come in the top half. Results should be out in a couple of days