|The lines are straight! This is the 1:1 printout of the design to be stitched; |
you can just see the lines showing the centre of the design.
|I love the effect with the gold lame. |
This of course is my second attempt
I used my duckbill scissors to trim away the excess fabric (the stabilizer to which the design is stitched is still in the hoop and needs to stay there so I didn’t want to cut it) but in retrospect realise I probably could have been closer to the stitching.
|A6 notebook cover and A6 notebook - you can see the notebook is too big|
I even had to trim the notebook for the bigger design in the end
Another issue was that the pocket didn't work properly - I think because the lame interacted with the glue. I used too much.
- I needed to trim MUCH closer - recommending a particular type of scissors that I cannot source.
- Best to use really thin batting - I don’t have enough experience to know where in the thickness/thinness spectrum my batting comes - it was the only black batting I could source.
- Best to use black stabiliser and batting - I found a source for black stabilizer, which is thicker than the white stabilizer I previously used
- I could burn off any stabilizer still sticking out, using an ordinary lighter
- Might have to trim the edges of the notebook as maybe the cover on mine was too thick (no, it wasn't)
- I could increase the size of the design using (free) software recommended
- I also asked about using just the background design on the reverse, but this question wasn’t responded to.
This time, I used black Kona cotton as my lining - this is perhaps a little thick but it works much better than the lame I used last time. I trimmed REALLY closely. However, while I trimmed right up to the stitching, as close as I could manage, there is still stabilizer outside the stitching line as of course it is removed after the stitching is done and the satin stitch is actually further in than I feel it should be - that is, rather than stitching across the original line, it only stitches up to it. I can’t alter that, sadly. I do feel it needs to be about 1mm further out.
|The inside of the cover|
I found a beautiful notebook, with a sparkling gold but smooth cover, smaller than A6 which would fit nicely into the cover but unfortunately its spine is wider so no can do for this rendition - it get pushed too far forward.
Then today, one of the notebooks I ordered online arrived - although the spine is thicker, because the notebook is smaller, it fits well as is. I need to decide whether Joanne is getting it with this new notebook - not perfect but okay - or David with the old notebook. I think David, as I can improve the notebook cover for Joanne.
Helen and Anthony are coming late tomorrow (Saturday) night after their return from Argentina - I'm not sure how much they're going to be affected by the problems caused by the drones around Gatwick - they're flying into Heathrow but the repercussions are widespread.
I'll be busy tomorrow as Alison and family (including Thomas, the cat) are arriving. My mother arrived today. Joanne will be coming Sunday. So I've scheduled this post - hope that works!!