|August 2010 with Helen who was a bridesmaid to her sister|
- Fitted, semi fitted, loose
- Darts, princess seams, dart equivalents (pleats, tucks etc)
- Seaming at waist, above waist, below waist
- Straight skirt, A line, flared, gored, pleated, circle etc
- Waistline seam/no waistline seam
- Sleeves of various styles or sleeveless or even cut back (but I'm not pursuing that!)
- Jewel, scooped, V neckline etc - there are so many styles.
- I'm sure that’s not everything. There are so many options and combinations.
- Basic shape
- Shoulder princess seams
- Multiple parallel shoulder darts
|This isn't right but I like the concept. The shoulder appears rather wide. I think I need to hone my bodice block.|
|My first sample, on the model|
I made the following observations, negative and positive:
- I don’t like circle or very full skirts
- I'm not really very keen on a waist seam and would rather have a continuous one piece dress.
- I don’t like gathers or tuck darts
- I don’t suit crossover tops - maybe in stretch, that’s different but I'm talking woven here; of course, this is also RTW and it could be that making myself one, which would fit so much better, would also look better. Though my floral Vogue dress belies that!
- I like sheath dresses ending just about the knee - these can have princess seams or standard seams
- I like fit and flare dresses ending below the knee
- I like an element of waist shaping
- I don’t like the asymmetric waistline dresses on, though one of my own dresses, pictured below, has a gather at the waistline on one side.
- I prefer a sleeve - I didn’t decide absolutely what length
- I've had this dress for years and love it (Windsmoor)
- Viyella. Not sure if neck is a bit low and exposing. Woven. Recent thrifted purchase
- Klass - casual stretch dress. I like it without the supplied belt better than with.
- Phase Eight. I love this dress. Slight stretch. Photos don't really show the slight gather at the waist. Works well on this dress but on some I've tried just adds to the bulk
- Roman. I've never had this dress on though I've had it a while - needs a strapless bra, Stretch
- Can't remember the make - it makes me feel matronly. Woven
- M&S. I like this dress and get a lot of wear from it in the summer. Woven; lined
- Self made from PR's winter street dress - I like this; stretch (in fact so much stretch I've already shortened at the waist and it looks like I need to do it again! This fabric grows! I do have a more stable version shown here but wasn't sure it would fit at present.) The neckline is rather wider and looser than it was.
- Self made princess seamed dress for PR's Little White Dress contest last year; shown here without accessories of any kind, as required by contest. I liked it but it shrunk a lot in length and I binned, after salvaging its expensive zipper. Woven and lined.
- I could have a number 10 to add a different style - the Vogue 8646 wrapover dress I made and have posted about previously (July 2015) but didn't want to include as I dislike it so much! Largely because of the circular skirt, the too short length and the unflattering bust shaping - that's enough isn't it?
For a pre-Christmas celebration, I bought a red lace dress (M&S). I quite liked it but wasn’t absolutely sold on the scoop neck, which I found too low and wide. I didn't immediately return as I rather liked the length and where the waist fell. I was ill and didn’t get to wear the dress so eventually decided to return it as I couldn’t see me wearing it any other time than Christmas - and hopefully I will be smaller next Christmas. Anyway, I don't have the storage space. This is a photo of me trying it on, just before I returned it - I hadn't seen this back view prior to that or I would never have considered keeping it! I'm glad I took it back - I don't like the back neckline detail at all as it makes me look quite hunched. Partly because David got me to stand this way but that's not a good look.It was very difficult to get it to lie correctly at the back and shoulders, so maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if I'd been wearing it in earnest. Not to mention the dress was half price in the post Christmas sale and I'd paid full price.
|Too many wrinkles in the wrong place here|
So my thinking at the moment is:
- Sheath dress with waist shaping
- Small cap sleeve - I would like a sleeve. It's more difficult to put a jacket on over a longer sleeve and certain lengths can look very ageing, I feel.
- I'm not sure I can incorporate my shoulder darts, which I love, into this, so I reckon it will probably be princess seams, or may be standard bust and waist darts. Waist darts would be double ended. I could maybe have two parallel ones which would slightly up the ante.
- Might, or might not, incorporate a lace panel. Probably only if princess seams.
- Knee length
- Collarless jacket. Possibly in lace if I don’t use a lace panel, otherwise in matching fabric if (and it’s a big if) I have enough fabric.